Suspicious bag shuts downtown light rail | April 23, 2010 | Mountain View Voice | Mountain View Online |

Mountain View Voice

News - April 23, 2010

Suspicious bag shuts downtown light rail

Another bomb scare in SF, plus a stalled car in Palo Alto, make for bad commutes

by Staff Reports

This week began badly for rail passengers after two apparently unrelated bomb scares, one in downtown Mountain View, disrupted service Monday evening. Those incidents were followed by another Caltrain delay Tuesday morning when a car stalled on the tracks in Palo Alto.

The Mountain View incident resulted in the closure of the VTA Light Rail station in downtown Mountain View on Monday night after someone noticed a suspicious bag in the area at around 7:15 p.m., according to Valley Transportation Authority spokesperson Brandi Childress.

The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office responded to the station, which remained closed until about 9:30 p.m., she said. A "bus bridge" was set up to take passengers between the Mountain View and Whisman stations, where they were able to continue on the light rail line.

Sheriff's Department spokesman Sgt. Rick Sung told the Voice the bag was a duffel containing a battery with soldered wires. The department's bomb squad used a water cannon to safely dispose of the bag, he said, and bomb technicians are investigating the remnants of what appear to be a small electronic device to determine if it actually was an explosive.

The closure also affected some Caltrain service in the area, which had experienced its own problems earlier that day after a bomb threat was called in to the agency, halting all trains between San Francisco and Millbrae for several hours.

According to Caltrain spokesperson Christine Dunn, someone called Caltrain at about 2:45 p.m. Monday claiming there was a bomb on one of the southbound trains leaving San Francisco. Trains were inspected by transit police, and 150 passengers and crew aboard one train were evacuated and taken by bus to Millbrae. Caltrain resumed to full service later that afternoon.

On Tuesday morning, trains were again delayed after a car stalled on the tracks in Palo Alto, according to Dunn. It was not hit by a train and no one was injured, she said.

All trains reportedly were back on schedule as of 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. No one was hurt in any of the incidents.

Bay City News contributed to this report.


There are no comments yet for this post

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Choose a category: *

Since this is the first comment on this story a new topic will also be started in Town Square! Please choose a category that best describes this story.

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields