Crime briefs | June 3, 2011 | Mountain View Voice | Mountain View Online |

Mountain View Voice

News - June 3, 2011

Crime briefs

Teen stabbed

A teenage boy was stabbed by a member of a rival gang Thursday afternoon, May 26 on Moffett Boulevard, police said. The 17-year-old victim did not have damage to any major organs and is expected to recover.

The Mountain View teen was walking in the 200 block of Moffett Boulevard, between Jackson Street and Central Avenue, when he encountered his attacker — described as a "muscular," 5-foot-8-inch Hispanic male in his late 20s. According to Liz Wylie, a spokeswoman for the Mountain View police, the attacker yelled out the name of a gang and began punching the victim before stabbing him in the chest. The attacker then fled south on Moffett Boulevard.

The victim's friend witnessed the fight from a distance, Wylie said. They asked employees from the Fernandez Supermarket, just across Central Avenue from where the stabbing took place, to call 911.

Police never release gang names to the media, for fear of encouraging more gang violence, Wylie said. The victim admitted to being affiliated with a rival gang, she said

Drunk and confrontational

Police arrested a man outside of a Mountain View car repair shop early Saturday morning after he charged at officers while drunk, an official with the department said. No one was injured in the confrontation.

The man, who Mountain View police spokeswoman Liz Wylie identified as 34-year-old Tariq Javaid from San Francisco, was ultimately charged with being drunk in public, resisting arrest, lying about his identity and carrying pepper spray -- which was illegal due to a prior conviction.

According to the police report, Wylie said, officers first encountered Javaid while attempting to track down someone who was repeatedly calling 911 dispatchers, drunkenly rambling about "illegal immigrants."

At about 1:20 a.m., police traced the calls, which were coming from a phone with a 415 area code, to the area of Leong Drive and Moffett Boulevard. Once in the area, officers discovered Javaid in front of Don's Automotive. Wylie said he was apparently intoxicated. Javaid was walking unsteadily, his belt was undone, he had slurred speech and he was "screaming that (the police) were on private property."

During the confrontation, another man, who turned out to be Javaid's brother, emerged from the auto shop and cursed at police while egging his brother on, Wylie said. Police determined that Javaid was too intoxicated to care for himself and could not trust his brother to care for him, so they arrested him. While searching Javaid, police found a canister of pepper spray.

Javaid was so unruly, Wylie said, that police took him straight to the Main Jail in San Jose, where they learned that the name and address he had given upon arrest was false. They also discovered Javaid had a felony on his record, which made his possession of the pepper spray illegal.

Wylie said that the phone used to make the bogus 911 calls was affiliated with Don's Automotive. However, she said, "We don't have enough evidence to charge anybody with a 911 violation."

Javaid's brother was not arrested.


There are no comments yet for this post