Google plans upgrades to its free WiFi service

Original post made on Sep 3, 2009

Several weeks ago — and three years after giving the gift of free WiFi Internet to its hometown — Google met with local residents to discuss possible improvements to the network. In response to resident's comments, Google has budgeted for a bevy of improvements.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, September 4, 2009, 12:00 AM

Like this comment
Posted by GP
a resident of Sylvan Park
on Sep 3, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Will those WiFi police cars show up on Google Map so we can see where all the car are?

Like this comment
Posted by JP
on Sep 3, 2009 at 9:47 pm

Gee thanks. Our city gave 2 Billionaires, that i know of, tax breaks, changed zoning laws to accomidate them etc.to house google. These biilionaires could easelly fund an anuuity to pay for free W-FI for the people of Mountain View. But no we get fast talk and hemming and hawwing. Cover the city, make the signal strong enough, that we do not need to buy a $100.00 device, from your friend.

Who is our elected Mayor? is she even from around here. And she leads this city? What is her political goals? Does she really represent the views of Mountain view citizens?

Anyone, please enlighten me.

Like this comment
Posted by Jay
on Sep 4, 2009 at 8:19 am

What is the name of the $100 device that enhances the Google WiFi signal and where is it available. Thanks

Like this comment
Posted by Michael M.
a resident of Jackson Park
on Sep 4, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Do you really want the bad guys to be able to see where all the police cars are in Mountain View GP? Get a clue!

Like this comment
Posted by Max
a resident of Castro City
on Sep 5, 2009 at 9:11 am

Anybody who want to know about cops are "bad guys", eh?

Like this comment
Posted by Ron
on Sep 5, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Jay,

There are two brands that I know of. The one I use is the Ruckus Gateway. You can purchase them online, and there is a local computer shop (I forget the name). If you go to the Google Wifi wiki page, you can get details.

Like this comment
Posted by Wiley Arredondo
on Sep 9, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I've been employed in the city for over 10 years. I live within a few miles of it's borders. I'd like to mooch this free wifi too. I'd also like Google to stop taking pictures of me when I'm driving in my car.

Like this comment
Posted by Jason
on Oct 16, 2009 at 1:35 pm

You can also connect a laptop (or desktop) computer indoors with a Hawking brand usb wireless adapter. Only Hawking has a usb adapter with a removable antenna. This can be connected to a Hawking HSB2 wifi signal booster for more power. Hawking also makes some high gain antennas that are compatible with the above wifi parts. You can also use any other brand of high gain antenna that uses reverse sma connectors with the above products. These products are available at many local electronics store.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto