Kids conquer Alcatraz swim

Original post made on Jun 3, 2010

On the morning of April 10, eight-year-old Malena Nguyen and her 10-year-old brother Jordan woke up early. They didn't have a special breakfast, "unless a bagel is special," Jordan says, giggling. They took a ferry across the San Francisco Bay to Alcatraz, the former prison-island. And then they hopped into the 52-degree water.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, June 4, 2010, 12:00 AM

Posted by Sherlyn
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Great job- Malena and Jordan! It's really cool that you get your own story on the web! I wish I could have swam in Alcatraz- but it just seemed to cold!

Posted by Chelsea
a resident of Waverly Park
on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:08 pm

lawl sherlyn, i wanted to join to! i cant belive u to did it :O also, since wen does jordan giggle XP

Posted by Malena
on Jun 6, 2010 at 12:03 pm

All LAMVAC swimmers should do the Alcatraz swim next year!

Posted by Lee
on Jun 6, 2010 at 3:23 pm

You two were excellent! Both my 8 and 11 year old grandsons are swimmers on a swim club in Florida, and their Dad is an Ironman triathlon finisher. I will write them to see if they want to do Alcatraz next year. That would be so cool rrr... I mean cold!

Posted by Sherlyn
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Malena- I think I might do the Alcatraz swim next year- since you did it! By then you will be- umm.... 9? And I'll be 11- but we can be swim buddies!

Posted by Sherlyn
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jun 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm

So... Which book is the one with the money in it???? LOL! Just kidding... But seriously.... TELL ME!