Fresh & Busy

Original post made on Jan 12, 2012

The new Fresh & Easy grocery store at Rengstorff Avenue and Middlefield Road drew a huge crowd to its opening on Wednesday morning, Jan. 11, with a line for the checkout stands that wrapped around the length of the store. Customers familiar with the chain said they shop at Fresh & Easy for the low prices, prepared meals and coupons. Photo by Michelle Le.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, January 12, 2012, 11:40 AM

Like this comment
Posted by gcoladon
a resident of North Whisman
on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:18 pm

gcoladon is a registered user.

Hey Fresh & Easy, once you're done opening up that store at Rengstorff, can you come down Middlefield and open one at Whisman St too?? We are hungry over here!

Like this comment
Posted by Carter
on Jan 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Check out another new grocery store in downtown Mountain View at the corner of California and Castro Street. The new owners are staying open while they re-model. The new market is called Ava's Downtown Market.

They have grass fed beef and Black Angus certified beef. Black Angus is higher quality than Kobe beef.

Like this comment
Posted by tommygee54
a resident of Rex Manor
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:29 pm

My brother and I went shopping on the first day of Fresh and Easy in Mtn. View. The prepared foods were plentiful and the prices were right. The different kinds of breads available were great as in focaccia as well. I nearly ate the whole loaf at one sitting. The front end assistants were very nice. And they could wear blue jeans!!! I was told union employees were present earlier in the day. Fresh and Easy are making inroads for sure. And another new grocery store is openning up at El Camino and San Antonio Road soon across from the San Antonio Shopping center.

Like this comment
Posted by Mike Laursen
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jan 12, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Checked out Fresh & Easy today at lunch. It's so awesome having a new grocery store again in the Monta Loma neighborhood -- and such a nice one to boot. Monta Lomans, please shop at this store so it'll stick around!

Like this comment
Posted by Doug
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jan 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I was there on opening day and it was crowded. The help in the front and all the check out lines being open,made the line go fast. I am also glad to have a grocery store near by. That building had been vacant since around 2004 when the Golden Phoenix closed down. I think the Fresh and Easy is the perfect size for that building.

Like this comment
Posted by Political Insider
on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:08 am

Is Carter an owner of Ava's? Black Angus is higher quality than Kobe beef? I guess that's why fast food restaurants serve Angus instead of Kobe.

I agree about supporting the new store. Residents complain about a lack of local grocery stores but don't support them which is why they go out of business.

If only this were true about some government programs.

Like this comment
Posted by Palo Altan
on Jan 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I tried out this store when I happened to be in the neighborhood and I had received coupons in the mail - even in Palo Alto!

I think it is very good, produce nearly all prepackaged and so was the bread but the quality of both was excellent. It is a shame that I have to buy the sizes/amounts that they put together, but both kept fresh for ages so turned out to be not a problem. There is a good mix of own brand as well as national brands unlike Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but the quality and choices seem similar on the whole for a store of this size.

I will probably use this store again when I am in the area for the bread alone!

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto