Feature story: A romance in black and white

Original post made on Mar 2, 2012

Eighty-year-old Henry Ford sat in the dining room of his Palo Alto home and recalled the day he met Rochelle, his wife of 52 years. On Sunday, March 4, at 2 p.m. the Fords will speak about their interracial marriage and their life.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, March 2, 2012, 11:11 AM

Like this comment
Posted by Thank you
on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I hope we all can learn from this.

Like this comment
Posted by Deniece Watkins Smith
a resident of Shoreline West
on Mar 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Thank you for your persistence in optimism. This world needs more people like you. Thank you for believing in each other an in marriage and making work. Fifty-two years together! Just wonderful!

Like this comment
Posted by laughing and loving
on Mar 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Wonderful story of a married couple COMMITTED to their sacrament! And I LOVED the end of the article.... LOL!! :0)

Like this comment
Posted by Don
on Mar 3, 2012 at 9:10 am

Being in an interracial marriage myself (approaching 23 years) I can NOT relate to the Fords. They endured a rough time and made their commitment to each other stronger than the insidious and stupid reaction. As such by the time I fell in love and married my wife in 1989, the kinds of experiences the Ford's had seem like a distant nightmare. I wish I could be there Sunday to thank them personally allowing love to flourish and rule over bigotry and stupidity. Frankly I think we'll be having these same reactions to gay married couples in years to come. It seems so silly we have to wait.

Like this comment
Posted by DCS
on Mar 3, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Loved this article, thanks so much for sharing,! It's good to read about two people making a life together despite the odds and to really flourish as a family.

Like this comment
Posted by Paul Pierre
a resident of Stierlin Estates
on Mar 4, 2012 at 7:27 am

I applaud you. I have biracial children with feet well anchored in both cultures. They are all better for it.

Like this comment
Posted by PHS
a resident of North Whisman
on Mar 4, 2012 at 10:16 am

I've been married to an African American man since 2000 and have lived here in the South Bay since 1999. Born and raised in Mountain View, I was told not to hang with black children. I didn't understand that, why? The world was made with beautiful colored flowers by God, so I thought color in people was just part of God's effort to beautify the world.

Anyway, instead of having our own biological children, we felt there were too many African American children/babies that needed homes so we adopted. Our child is biracial (looks like he could be our biological child) and it has been such a blessing.

Once in awhile issues perk up between my husband and I about being black in American, like DWB (Driving While Black). I hate to hear him talk about cops in a negative way but I also understand.

He was raised by a very successful black, single mother. She bought her own house in 1965, brand new and raised my husband all on her own. She was definitely a minority, but what a role model. My parents were also very successful, but racial bias cuts through all classes.

I hope when you see a mixed race couple walking down the street, don't judge them, just smile.

Like this comment
Posted by allheritage
on Mar 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Why do people insist on calling the black community African American? Unless you are a person of 'color' that was actually born in Africa and later went through the process of obtaining American citizenship.............you're a freak'n American!! You don't see some guy named De Luca, born and raised right here in the USA calling himself an Italian American. That would be silly, wouldn't it?

Congrat's the the happy couple......Mazel tov!

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto

Eat, Surf, Love

Couples: So You Married Mom or Dad . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,120 views