Town Square

Post a New Topic

Testing and treating to reduce city's toxic vapor problem

Original post made on Mar 15, 2013

Like toxic vapors coming out of the ground, health concerns about TCE are lingering in northeastern Mountain View.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, March 15, 2013, 10:28 AM

Comments (5)

2 people like this
Posted by Sick for over 4 months & pissed off
a resident of Whisman Station
on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:30 am

The article mentions Siegel stated there's $250 kits to test the air quality in your home, but mentions no source where to purchase these kits. Absolutely poor follow-through reporting.

If it's possible there's unsafe vapor levels in our homes and the EPA won't test certain homes for free - AND WHY THE HELL WONT THEY TEST FOR FREE IF A HOUSE IS IN THE PLUME!?!?! - where do we get these kits???

Like this comment
Posted by Old Ben
a resident of Shoreline West
on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Because real estate developers OWN Mountain View, that's why.

Real estate values trump public health, as far as Mountain View is concerned.

Like this comment
Posted by Resident of Whisman Rd
a resident of North Whisman
on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Testing is free if you live in the plume, if you don't live in the plume then quit being paranoid and pay for for your own testing if you want it. I paid for my own lead testing through an EPA approved facility. Where to get a kit or testing: try using an internet search engine.

Like this comment
Posted by jane
a resident of North Whisman
on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:14 pm

The EPA has asked people to contact them if they want their indoor air tested. It can't be made clearer than that. If you are over an area of concern, in other words, if you are over known contamintated groundwater please contact EPA. If you are a resnter, the property owner needs to give permission for the testing - standard procedure.

Like this comment
Posted by Old Ben
a resident of Shoreline West
on Mar 16, 2013 at 7:12 am

You shouldn't BE a renter in this town unless you have a lawyer.

Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Truckee cafe to expand to Menlo Park
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 3,581 views

Attraction to a Person Outside Your Relationship
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,056 views


Top restaurants to check out

Mountain View Voice readers have officially decided. See which local restaurants and businesses can now claim the title — Best Of Mountain View 2017.

View Winners