Town Square

Post a New Topic

How Google employees were exposed to toxics

Original post made on Apr 3, 2013

All it took was a faulty HVAC system to allow toxic vapors into a pair of Mountain View buildings where over 1,000 Google employees work, according to a report released by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, March 29, 2013, 12:00 AM

Comments (1)

Like this comment
Posted by MtnViewOriginal
a resident of Rex Manor
on Apr 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I am commenting on the story "How Google employees were exposed to toxics".

I was born and raised in Mountain View. My mother said that when she moved here from Texas 47 years ago she thought she had found heaven. She explains how Mountain View was just beautiful orchards and this beautiful little tiny town. She said that in the mornings it would fog over from all the fields.

Little did we know that we would all eventually die from Cancer. My Grandmother on my fathers side came to live in her old age in an apartment off of Middlefield Road and San Antonio, and she died from Cancer. My mother bought the house in Rex Manor when I was one, I am 45 now and I have cancer. My father died from cancer. Nearly every one of their friends have died from cancer. We all just worked and lived in the area, and all are dying or have died from cancer. There are even those we know that originated in this area and moved away only to suffer the same fate with cancer. Now I know cancer is very common, but it does ring a little creepy when you think about it.

I find it hard to believe that you can put a time frame around when these toxins are released (on a certain day/month when the ventilation system was not functioning), I realize this was when the toxins were at an alarming level inside of the building, but where were these toxins before and where are they now? And for us to even single out a group "only pregnant women", and go as far as to say not really them, just their fetus'. No adults are affected? No plants or animals? So is this report trying to say that I can stand around and inhale 30 or more micro grams per cubic meters of these TCE's and nothing will happen to me? If it can bypass from the bottom of the building to be released at the top of the building then isn't it constantly being released around us? So then aren't we all in danger, and not just certain people? And what happens when these workers have to come out of their high pressure buildings? Don't they have to breathe the air outside like the rest of us?

I had this conversation with a few old mountainvieans and they seem to be sceptical. So little has been done, and so little is going to be done. Its nice that they have tests to see what the levels are, why aren't they launching some sort of counter measure as soon as this is discovered and not just discussing these things on paper comparing notes on levels?

Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Food Party! 420
By Laura Stec | 5 comments | 1,554 views

What Are Your Gifts that Must Be Shared?
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 644 views


Best Of Mountain View ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "Best Of Mountain View" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 29th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 21st issue of the Mountain View Voice.