“Petition for permanent Stevenson PACT facility
Presented to the MVWSD Trustees on Thursday, June 4, 2015
Stevenson PACT requires a permanent home. We have been moved twice since our founding in 1996, with each move more disruptive to student learning. We need a facility that supports our educational model and enhances teaching and learning.
We vehemently oppose moving PACT to the Slater or Whisman site and view it as a threat to the program. A move to Slater or Whisman would:
• Only be temporary until there is sufficient enrollment for a neighborhood program. We are a robust school and should not be treated as a placeholder for another school.
• Generate pressure to give neighborhood preference priority above educational philosophy in enrollment at PACT. This would threaten both PACT’s mission/vision and the interests of prospective families living elsewhere in the District.
• Disrupt our entire teacher and student population for a third time, something no other community has had to withstand.
• Move us out of our central location that is accessible to the majority of District families, in particular SED families.
As with all schools in the district, Stevenson PACT deserves investment and commitment in the form of a permanent facility on our 16–acre site. We have a proven progressive education model, a long waiting list, and the worst facility in the District. It is significantly deficient relative to the minimum District standard and to the current condition and facilities of all other District schools. As such, we deserve an equitable share of Measure G money and to have our facilities needs addressed near the beginning of the construction cycle. At minimum, our school immediately requires:
• Kindergarten standard classrooms
• Kindergarten playground
• Adequate classroom and office space for small group learning, intervention, instructional coaches and other support staff.
Please make a commitment to Stevenson PACT by keeping it on its current, 16-acre site and investing now in a permanent, upgraded facility.
In support of Stevenson PACT Elementary School,”
Related story: Web Link