Hobee's Restaurant sold to new owners

Original post made on Jun 14, 2017

The family who has owned Peninsula breakfast institution Hobee's Restaurant for 43 years sold the business to two longtime employees, the company announced Tuesday.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 9:39 AM

12 people like this
Posted by Betty
a resident of Whisman Station
on Jun 14, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Love Hobee's. Love Ed and Peter. Thanking Ed and Peter for their years of incredible service to the community. Wishing Camille and Daniel Chijate continued success.

55 people like this
Posted by kgirl67
a resident of Rex Manor
on Jun 14, 2017 at 2:47 pm

I absolutely love that long time employees were given the opportunity to buy and continue the business. What a win win!! And our community gets to keep a popular long running business.

3 people like this
Posted by tommygee54
a resident of Rex Manor
on Jun 14, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Yes, this is a win win for everyone. Believe it or not, the only time that I have eaten at the Mountain View Hobee's was way back in 1975!!! The worker was only making $1.15 per hour!!! At any rate, the food I ordered was great. But for some reason I never went back. And I drive by this eatery every day.

Go figure.

4 people like this
Posted by rita
a resident of Blossom Valley
on Jun 14, 2017 at 4:07 pm

In the early 70's we lived near the small place that became Hobee's first restaurant near Alma and Rengstroff. We walked over for milkshakes and it was a "hole in the wall." How wonderful they became a success story. Congrats to them. They worked hard.

7 people like this
Posted by ZDee
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Jun 14, 2017 at 4:18 pm

I have been eating at Hobee's for 11 years now -- at least 3 times a month :-) HUGE fan of their brunch spread, consistency and friendly service. There is nothing fake or forced in the warm, down to earth service here!

When the Palo Alto location was closed, my hubby and I were gutted. The Palo Alto Town & Country location was also a star attraction for tech founders. As disappointed as I was to lose the lovely staff at Palo Alto, Hobee's Los Altos managed to retain some of them.

I have also introduced friends and visitors to the Bay Area to Hobee's - Cupertino, Burlingame - these guys are so consistent with their quality, menu and flavors!

Thank you Hobee's for my wonderful welcome and stay in the SF Bay Area. Please, please do not change some of the current favorites on your menu which keep me coming back!

2 people like this
Posted by Mt. View Neighbor
a resident of North Whisman
on Jun 14, 2017 at 4:37 pm

I love Hobee's! One nice thing about them is that they HAVEN'T changed their menu constantly... You can always get the BDBIT, and they're one of the few restaurants that truly offers gluten free menu choices. This is a relief since I can no longer eat wheat products. Thank you Hobee's for having good ol' fashioned values! Thank you for not jumping on every bandwagon and for knowing when to change.

2 people like this
Posted by Daniel Hoover
on Jun 14, 2017 at 6:42 pm

Members of the friendly Taber family would have their computers repaired at Computerware's repair facility near the Palo Alto baylands. They would give me Hobee's meal coupons, so my mate and I would eat there often. Memorable, not so much for the freebies, but for the warmth and light these special individuals brought to the facility.

4 people like this
Posted by Alice H
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jun 15, 2017 at 9:32 am

With my family, I have been a loyal Hobee's customer, and fan, for over 30 years. I ship blueberry coffee cake to my daughter for special occasions, as she misses it so much! Good luck to Camille and Danielle! You are appreciated!

2 people like this
Posted by Jennifer C
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jun 15, 2017 at 11:01 am

It amazes me how many familiar faces I see at the Mountain View Hobee's. Many of their servers have been there ever since I first went with my family in 2008. They must treat their staff well to have such retention.

Love the DeAnza Hashbrowns!

2 people like this
Posted by denise
on Jun 15, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Wow, super happy Hobee's is being taken over by local people who know and love Hobee's! Don't change that coffee cake please!!!!! :)

Like this comment
Posted by Max Hauser
on Jun 15, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Max Hauser is a registered user.

It's great to hear that such a regional dining institution as Hobee's plans to keep going!

Have to get back there now, for some of that famous coffee cake. (Never tried it before, but those photos are seductive.)

Like this comment
Posted by lan
a resident of Rengstorff Park
on Jun 17, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Love Hobees and hope they keep the food and culture as is. And their commitment to gluten free options. For those of us with celiac disease, Hobee's is a godsend.

Like this comment
Posted by Steve
a resident of Whisman Station
on Jun 18, 2017 at 5:24 am

Best of luck to the Chijates! Love Hobees and glad to see the legacy continue.

Like this comment
Posted by clay
on Jun 22, 2017 at 11:46 am

I was fortunate to meet Paul and family years ago through a friend and fellow bicycle rider. Purely by chance I googled the Hobee's name today to find the sale. I thought Hobee's was great back in the 80"s and probably still is now.