Council balks at proposed bike rules

Original post made on Sep 8, 2017

Mountain View City Council members roundly criticized a package of changes to city laws Tuesday night that would have imposed strong restrictions on where bicyclists could ride and park their bikes, saying that city's staff's proposal was out of touch with the reality of trying to get around the city using alternative modes of transportation.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, September 8, 2017, 12:00 AM

3 people like this
Posted by History Buff
on Sep 8, 2017 at 5:07 pm

"In the case of riding on sidewalks, BPAC recommended allowing bicyclists to ride against the direction of traffic if vehicle traffic goes above 35 miles per hour, if there is only one sidewalk on the road, or if the bicyclist stays below 5 miles per hour — the same rules would apply to people using other transportation devices."

Am I reading this correctly? BPAC and the council want to allow bikes, skateboards, whatever on sidewalks?!?!

9 people like this
Posted by parent
on Sep 8, 2017 at 6:33 pm

@History Buff - I'm pretty sure their first preference would be to add wide bike lanes to those streets, but until that is done, bicycling on the sidewalks maybe safer than bicycling in 35mph traffic (especially on streets where speed limit enforcement is poor). The city needs to encourage people to bicycle to work and many businesses are located on streets like this or there are no good alternative routes.

7 people like this
Posted by Occasional Biker
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Sep 8, 2017 at 10:05 pm

I had to learn bike safety at school. I was taught that there are times that the safest thing to do in many places is to dismount from the bike and become a pedestrian. Why is this never mentioned?

5 people like this
Posted by Uh-huh
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Sep 9, 2017 at 5:02 am

It's pretty much about the laws of the road. Dismounting isn't in the law in most situations. Besides, we were all taught about the speed laws when we learned to drive. As I see it, about 90% of the drivers ignore this when the CLEARLY safest thing to do on the road is slow down and drive at or below the posted speed limits.

I look at the situation of proposed riding on the sidewalk. There are a pile of restrictions noting when it is OK to do so. As I see it, the conditions that would allow it would be great for kids safety. Youngsters sidewalk riding at walking speed (<5mph)when cars are traveling >35 mph sounds prudently safe for kids. It's very restricted as to the situations where this would be allowed. Seems reasonable to me.

7 people like this
Posted by Occasional Biker
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Sep 9, 2017 at 10:39 am

Sometimes it is more prudent to be safe than do something just because it is legal.

There are many times I dismount my bike and become a pedestrian because it seems safer to me. Many intersections, such as San Antonio and El Camino to turn left on a bike, make much more sense to me to act as a pedestrian pushing my bike. It may take a little longer, but at least I know I will be more safe.

7 people like this
Posted by Dear Prudence
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Sep 11, 2017 at 6:38 am

If we lived our lives, fear full of what others perceive as dangerous, we would end up doing nothing at all. Act within the laws and within your OWN comfort zone.
Just don't expect others to see things as safe or dangerous as you do, and especially don't expect them to alter their actions if they are already acting within the law, because you personally feel differently about things.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Fine-dining Korean restaurant to open in Palo Alto

Couples: “True love is a decision between the head and the heart . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 992 views