Two candidates join the race for Mountain View Whisman school board

Original post made on Jul 23, 2020

The race for the Mountain View Whisman school board is heating up this week, with two new candidates vying to lead the school district through turbulent times and uncertainty over when, and how, schools can reopen.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, July 23, 2020, 1:04 PM

22 people like this
Posted by Groundhog Day
a resident of The Crossings
on Jul 23, 2020 at 1:58 pm

Sigh . . . is Chris going to quit again? No thanks!

19 people like this
Posted by Sloane P.
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Jul 23, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Happy to see Laura running. She is very experienced and very collegial. I would trust her decisions and motivations. Not sure I'm happy to see Chris's name here again. I find him to be quick to judge, a tad hysterical and not particularly collaborative. Quitting like he did is a strike against him.

18 people like this
Posted by SNK
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jul 23, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Patrick is thoughtful, calm, and fair. He would be an asset to the board during this chaotic time.

14 people like this
Posted by Jenny
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jul 23, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Thank goodness that the school board will be a contested election this year! I'm relieved that we'll have a choice between the new candidates and the incumbent (s) running since I'm not a fan of all of the incumbents.

2 people like this
Posted by just_jay
a resident of Shoreline West
on Jul 23, 2020 at 3:52 pm

Wow, great candidates to choose from. It's a good problem to have; I'm just sorry I have to choose.

11 people like this
Posted by Christopher Chiang
a resident of North Bayshore
on Jul 23, 2020 at 4:42 pm

One can learn more about why I am running and answers to the concerns in the comments above at chrisformv.com
Those criticism are fair. I am also happy to email or virtually met with anyone.

I am dedicated to bringing the best of 16 years of public and independent school experience to MVWSD, so that every school in the district fosters teacher and student creativity. This remote learning crisis is really an opportunity to empower our teachers and students.

If I may add to the chorus that Patrick Neschleba would be an outstanding addition to the board. From the early days of Measure G, he asked essential questions, and always worked with open mind and kindness.

27 people like this
Posted by Standing Ovation
on Jul 23, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Great news. I will gladly vote for any of these candidates. I am absolutely thrilled to see Gutierrez leave and looking forward to seeing Blakley roundly defeated as both were responsible for getting rid of half our valued principals only to bring in an endless line of temporary ones. Hopefully Wilson does not seek reelection as well, particularly after all the raises she's been passing out coupled with the supe's $1.2 million home loan.

So I'll say it again. Vote out the current board and fire the superintendent.

10 people like this
Posted by Homer Simpson
a resident of The Crossings
on Jul 23, 2020 at 8:12 pm

10 people like this
Posted by Eyeroll
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Jul 23, 2020 at 9:50 pm

Please please anyone but Chris Chiang!
All he can talk about is how masks should be made mandatory everywhere. I think he might even wear one when he is home alone.
Masks are his Carthago delenda est.

27 people like this
Posted by Jenny Coogan
a resident of Monta Loma
on Jul 24, 2020 at 7:04 am

I am so relieved that Patrick Neschleba is running. I've long consulted him on school district issues because he's really well-informed and takes the time to study the issues in a way that most of us probably wouldn't have the patience or diligence to do. Even once schools reopen fully, there will be a lot of recovery work to do and we will need responsible board governance focused on problem solving. I trust Patrick to do that job.

22 people like this
Posted by Standing Ovation
on Jul 24, 2020 at 7:30 am

@Homer Simpson
"If the principals brought value, dont't think they would have been replaced . . ."

Nice try, but Rudolph's (and the Board) have presided over an endless stream of principals that were terribly matched for their schools and community! The turnover rate has been astounding. Maybe both should start listening to the community more rather than assuming expertise in education.

Either way, glad to see Gutierrez going. He was appointed and never elected originally. He doesn't have an original opinion or idea. He was never elected on his own merit--only propped up as an appointment by Wheeler. He was then reelected for his only full term in a thinly contested election and even then only by a few votes. And not we thinks he's got the background and knowledge base to be on city council! What a joke. He's not even a familiar face at city council meetings. Just a hack. I cringe when he gets up on his soapbox.

Vote out the current board and fire the superintendent.

19 people like this
Posted by the 3 are enough
a resident of Another Mountain View Neighborhood
on Jul 24, 2020 at 1:07 pm

The Registrar of Voters indicate Laura Blakely has not yet pulled candidate papers. It would be good for the community if she and Board President Wilson just didn't! Let it go ladies.

A Latina with real teaching and administering experience, if willing to actually fight for politics ties helping the MVWSD's independently verified serious achievement gap would be refreshing!

P. Neschleba served the entire community well on the Facilities Committee - and not just his own neighborhood school constituency!

Even C. Chiang may be worth recycling. He does have much more education technology/web related direct teaching experience than any other candidate, and most of the administrators in the MVWSD.

Don't think the superintendent needs firing, just much much better educationally-informed and community-valued oversight. Blakely and Wilson have shown that they are incapable or perhaps unwilling to be deeply informed and serious (Conley seems the only trustee regularly submitting probing and deep written questions to the superintendent for most board meetings)

4 people like this
Posted by Cfrink
a resident of Willowgate
on Jul 26, 2020 at 2:31 am

We are very fortunate to have such a deep bench of qualified and involved community leaders to assist our schools. This group have all been at it for many years. Best of luck to them all.

10 people like this
Posted by Thida Cornes
a resident of Shoreline West
on Jul 26, 2020 at 12:02 pm

I'm thrilled to see Patrick Neschleba run. I worked with him on the MVWSD Facilities committee and found him to be thoughtful, pragmatic, and willing to listen to others. He worked hard to represent the entire community. He along with others was one of the main instigators who created the famous pie that showed MVSWD didn't have enough money for the plans they wanted to create. This pie made it into the papers and finally convinced MVWSD to take more sensible action. I'm excited he's finally decided to take the plunge.

I respect Chris Chiang. He's an innovative and very motivated teacher who really cares about his students. He served in extremely challenging times within the Board. We're facing extremely challenging times now worldwide.