Woman who yelled anti-Asian epithets during theft in Mountain View arrested

Original post made on Mar 8, 2021

Mountain View police arrested a 39-year-old Greenbrae woman Friday (March 5) after she allegedly yelled racial epithets while stealing from a store in downtown Mountain View last month, according to a police press release.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, March 8, 2021, 10:31 AM

Posted by Dox
a resident of Monta Loma
on Mar 8, 2021 at 3:48 pm

Dox is a registered user.

This sounds like a mental health issue.

Posted by Spencer
a resident of The Crossings
on Mar 9, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Spencer is a registered user.

She looks crazy. And her name is Karen....

Posted by Tal Shaya
on Mar 10, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Tal Shaya is a registered user.

The press just keeps regurgitating this story, which is over a week old. Hate crime? Oh, come on. The woman is obviously mentally ill. Locking her up for 10 years with a hate crime enhancement is not justice. Why not focus on the violent thugs in Oakland instead, who are assaulting Asian elderlies? Shame on you, Mountain View.

Posted by MyOpinion
on Mar 25, 2021 at 12:15 pm

MyOpinion is a registered user.

The 3 recent Asian hate crimes in the south bay involved unstable people, all transients, all exhibiting irrational violent behavior. To label these as 'hate crimes' ignores the real issue, we have no treatment or residential facilities for the mentally ill. Even if help is available they can (and usually do) refuse that help. Clearly, there is an alarming increase in hate crimes against the Asian community, incited by the former president using slurs such as Kung Flu, which is the real crime here.

Posted by Amber Kerr
on Mar 26, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Amber Kerr is a registered user.

Oh my gosh, this is the same lady who tried to steal my daughter's scooter at the Castro Street Starbucks in early March. I think it might even have been the same day she was arrested... I don't have a record of the exact day it happened. My 8-year-old daughter and I were enjoying our Starbucks lunch in the shade of the big spruce tree, with her scooter parked near the front door of the business. As we were halfway through our lunch, a concerned bystander came up to us and said, "Is that your scooter? I think somebody is trying to steal it." I ran up the street after the thief and caught up with her at the corner of Castro and High School Way. Rather than apologizing and giving the scooter back to me, she hung onto it, glared at me, and said I was the one doing something illegal because I hadn't put a lock on the scooter. After several moments of fruitless arguing, I had to physically reach out and grab the scooter away from her - thank goodness she didn't punch me or anything, but it was scary. Sounds like she has some real problems. I hope she's able to get mental health treatment within the correctional system.

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Get the most important local news stories sent straight to your inbox daily.

Bold coyotes at Windy Hill
By Sherry Listgarten | 7 comments | 3,068 views

Al Fresco eating: Peninsula cities debate post-pandemic outdoor dining
By The Peninsula Foodist | 5 comments | 2,579 views

Stay and Play – and Work – in Carmel-by-the-Sea

Police departments using PR techniques to justify their actions
By Diana Diamond | 1 comment | 514 views

Vote now!

It's time once again to cast your vote for the best places to eat, drink, shop and spend time in Mountain View. Voting is open now through May 23. Watch for the results of our Best Of contest on Friday, July 23.

VOTE HERE