Town Square

Post a New Topic

How Google employees were exposed to toxics

Original post made on Apr 3, 2013

All it took was a faulty HVAC system to allow toxic vapors into a pair of Mountain View buildings where over 1,000 Google employees work, according to a report released by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, March 29, 2013, 12:00 AM

Comments (2)

Like this comment
Posted by MtnViewOriginal
a resident of Rex Manor
on Apr 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I am commenting on the story "How Google employees were exposed to toxics".

I was born and raised in Mountain View. My mother said that when she moved here from Texas 47 years ago she thought she had found heaven. She explains how Mountain View was just beautiful orchards and this beautiful little tiny town. She said that in the mornings it would fog over from all the fields.

Little did we know that we would all eventually die from Cancer. My Grandmother on my fathers side came to live in her old age in an apartment off of Middlefield Road and San Antonio, and she died from Cancer. My mother bought the house in Rex Manor when I was one, I am 45 now and I have cancer. My father died from cancer. Nearly every one of their friends have died from cancer. We all just worked and lived in the area, and all are dying or have died from cancer. There are even those we know that originated in this area and moved away only to suffer the same fate with cancer. Now I know cancer is very common, but it does ring a little creepy when you think about it.

I find it hard to believe that you can put a time frame around when these toxins are released (on a certain day/month when the ventilation system was not functioning), I realize this was when the toxins were at an alarming level inside of the building, but where were these toxins before and where are they now? And for us to even single out a group "only pregnant women", and go as far as to say not really them, just their fetus'. No adults are affected? No plants or animals? So is this report trying to say that I can stand around and inhale 30 or more micro grams per cubic meters of these TCE's and nothing will happen to me? If it can bypass from the bottom of the building to be released at the top of the building then isn't it constantly being released around us? So then aren't we all in danger, and not just certain people? And what happens when these workers have to come out of their high pressure buildings? Don't they have to breathe the air outside like the rest of us?

I had this conversation with a few old mountainvieans and they seem to be sceptical. So little has been done, and so little is going to be done. Its nice that they have tests to see what the levels are, why aren't they launching some sort of counter measure as soon as this is discovered and not just discussing these things on paper comparing notes on levels?

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Shoreline West

on May 27, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Coffeebar opens in Menlo Park
By Elena Kadvany | 2 comments | 5,295 views

Couples: So You Married Mom or Dad . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 868 views

Spring College Fairs
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 791 views

Eat, Surf, Love
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 783 views

The Cost of Service
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 408 views