Climate activists participate in a student-led climate change march in Los Angeles in 2019. Photo by Ringo H.W. Chiu, AP Photo

In summary

In an important election year, more than 70 high school students across California called on candidates seeking office to back a variety of climate solutions as part of CalMatters’ Earth Day op-ed contest. These are few excerpts from finalists.

Of all age groups, teens are the most worried and most engaged in addressing climate change.

But it’s not always clear which solutions California youth and first-time voters would like to see championed, especially during an important election year.

For its second annual Earth Day contest, CalMatters received more than 70 commentary entries from high school students across the state to sort that out. The 2024 contest theme asked students about which climate solutions deserve support from candidates running for office.

In response, students submitted entries rich in research, tracking oil industry contributions, evaluating carbon trading prices and forest restoration, proposing binational projects and more. Some entries called for boosting and tidying public transit systems to appeal to more Californians.

Far from apathetic bystanders, their detailed works reflect a generation keen on policy and committed to pushing the envelope.

The top three winning entries will be published separately starting today, leading up to Earth Day on Monday. To help showcase more student voices from across California, below are excerpts from other top entries.

Excerpts have been edited for style, brevity and clarity.

To make California a true leader in renewable energy and protect the livelihoods of local communities, candidates must agree to divest from Big Oil. 

In recent years, oil and gas contributions to state Assembly and Senate officeholders have exceeded millions of dollars, and came from entities such as Chevron, ExxonMobil and the Western States Petroleum Association, according to a CalMatters analysis.

The influence of Big Oil is clear, delaying or killing legislation that would have quickened California’s transition to renewable energy.

Emily D., Orange County

California’s leaders should take inspiration from places like Bhutan, the world’s first carbon negative country.

California suffers devastating tree mortality rates, which means less carbon is naturally sequestered and keeps the state further from its goal of carbon neutrality by 2045.

Bhutan’s constitution requires the 14,824-square mile country to maintain forest cover at no less than 60%. Bhutan emits roughly 2 million tons of carbon every year, and sequesters more than 7 million tons in its rich and protected forests.

Colette D., San Luis Obispo County

Since California’s cap and trade program started, the state’s oil and gas industry has actually increased carbon emissions by 3.5%, a 2019 ProPublica analysis showed.

Moving carbon emissions around as if it’s a math equation doesn’t reduce carbon emissions – it just exacerbates the problem. 

In order to provide an effective cap and trade program, Californians running for office must support a decrease in the amount of offsets provided to companies and an increase of carbon prices per metric ton.

Kailyn H., San Mateo County

A view of Half Dome and the Yosemite Valley from the Upper Yosemite Falls Trail on July 7, 2023. Photo by Miguel Gutierrez Jr., CalMatters

The Salton Sea’s water levels dropped 11 feet from 2005 to 2022, consequently releasing toxic dust and worsening asthma rates in nearby communities.

Its unprecedented shrinkage, however, might be exacerbated by looming reductions from the Colorado River, along with the expected diversion of agricultural water needed for operating new lithium plants in a region that has enough lithium for 375 million electric car batteries.

But there is a definitive solution crucial to ending public health risks while advancing the development of the so-called Lithium Valley: constructing a 120-mile binational canal from the Sea of Cortez to the Salton Sea. A water and economics consulting firm estimated that previous water levels can be restored within 15 years of construction, costing around $773 million.

Lawmakers can help provide tax credits and project funding, assist with permits and facilitate collaboration with the Mexican and federal governments to solve this environmental and public health problem. 

Brody S., Ventura County

Farming is such a large part of California, making up 43 million out of the close to 100 million acres of all land.

One method of soil carbon sequestration, cover cropping, could trap carbon in the soil, making the soil richer and healthier for crops farmers actually intend to sell. 

Not only could the widespread use of this put a significant dent in the amount of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, but it also helps California’s essential farming sector thrive.

Luisa G, San Mateo County

With littering, every time you decide not to make the daring trek to a garbage can, there is a possibility that some of that trash ends up in our oceans. 

Bills that help stop the mass production of plastic can help cut the issue off at the source, but it’s also important to stop littering when you see it. Casual littering is something that can be easily avoided and can make a large difference in the fight for our planet.

Laurel M., Sonoma County

Taking public transportation instead of driving alone reduces carbon emissions by 45%, reducing pollutants and improving air quality. But public transit can simply be too unreliable to take people to their destination, as cleanliness and safety have also become prevalent issues, polls have found.

State leaders can support voter initiatives to lower the thresholds for approving transit taxes and bonds, allowing more funding for transit reforms, while still requiring a fair, majority approval. Politicians should use funding and cooperate with transit agencies to make their services more comfortable and reliable, making them a more appealing option even to car owners.

Winston C., Santa Clara County

CalMatters is a Sacramento-based nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism venture committed to explaining how California's state Capitol works and why it matters. It works with more than 130 media partners throughout the state that have long, deep relationships with their local audiences, including Embarcadero Media.